Our cellphones have become our lifelines in today’s world. They serve as a major source of information, entertainment, and even safety. The Emergency SOS function is one such safety measure that may be extremely useful in emergency scenarios. Here’s how to utilize your smartphone’s Emergency SOS function and make the most of this powerful tool.
Table of Contents
When you need assistance, the Emergency SOS function on most cellphones allows you to quickly call emergency services. It is triggered by hitting a certain combination of buttons on your phone or by tapping a specialized button on the screen. When used, the function can contact your country’s emergency services, send text messages to your emergency contacts, send them your location, or perform any other action that you have enabled.
You can set up the exact functionality from the respective Emergency SOS menu in your phone’s settings.
The process of activating the Emergency SOS feature differs from phone to phone. Here are the steps to activate the feature on popular operating systems:
iPhone: On an iPhone, you can activate the Emergency SOS feature by pressing the side button and one of the volume buttons together for a few seconds. This will bring up the Emergency SOS slider, which you can slide to make an emergency call. After the call, your phone will send a text message with your location to your emergency contacts if you do not choose to cancel.
Android: On most Android smartphones, you can activate the Emergency SOS feature by pressing the power button or the volume button several times in quick succession (pressing the power button three times quickly for Samsung phones). This will place a call to emergency services, send text messages to your emergency contacts or share your location, depending on the functionality that you have enabled.
The Emergency SOS function can be utilized in a variety of life-threatening scenarios. Here are some examples of when you might need to use the feature:
- Medical emergencies: If you or someone nearby suffers from a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, stroke, or severe allergic reaction, you may utilize the Emergency SOS feature to get medical help promptly.
- Personal safety situations: If you sense a threat to your safety, the Emergency SOS feature can assist you in contacting the police or other emergency authorities for urgent assistance.
- Other emergencies: Accidents, natural calamities, being lost or stranded (like Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away on Hulu) are other emergency situations where the Emergency SOS feature can be used.
Once you access the Emergency SOS menu, you can choose from the following options:
- Make an emergency call: If you need immediate assistance, click the ‘Emergency Call’ button. This will initiate a call to your country’s emergency services. Speak clearly and calmly, and give them your location as well as the nature of the situation.
- Send an emergency message: If you are unable to talk or are in a situation where making a phone call may endanger your life, you can instead send an emergency message. From the Emergency SOS menu, select the ‘Emergency Message’ option. A message will be sent to your emergency contacts with your location as well as a brief message indicating that you require help.
- Share your location: If you are lost or stranded, you can send your location to your emergency contacts by selecting the ‘Share My Location’ option. This can assist them in quickly locating you and providing the necessary assistance.
- Set up your emergency contacts: Define your emergency contacts from the respective menu in your phone settings. These contacts can be friends, relatives, or emergency service helplines such as police, fire brigade or ambulance.
- Know the feature: It is a good idea to understand the Emergency SOS feature and its capabilities beforehand. This will ensure that you understand how to activate and use it when necessary.
- Charge your phone: It is critical to have adequate charge in your phone battery at all times, especially if you intend to travel to unfamiliar surroundings. In an emergency, every second counts, and a dead phone battery can be a major impediment.
- Use extra safety features: Many smartphones include extra safety features, such as Apple’s accident detection system, which detects when you’ve been in a car accident and automatically calls emergency services. For added security, be sure to enable these features on your phone.
The Emergency SOS offers powerful safety functionality that can prove to be invaluable in times of need. By familiarizing yourself with the feature and keeping your phone charged and ready, you can ensure that you are prepared for any emergency that may arise. Remember to use the feature only in genuine emergencies and always provide accurate information to the emergency services when you do use it.